Helen Wardale, the owner of Totally Notary is a licensed and bonded Vehicle Verifier, #VV28773.  Totally Notary can verify most vehicles required to be registered by the California Department of Motor Vehicles with some exceptions* (see below):

When do you need a Vehicle VIN Verifier?

  • You have a vehicle that is not in the California Department of Motor Vehicles database
  • You have a registered out of state vehicle coming to California for the first time
  • You have a non California motorcycle with an out of state title
  • You have vehicle documentation that reflects an incorrect VIN

Permitted verifications for vehicle verifiers:

  • Autos
  • Trucks / Trailers
  • Semi-Trailers / Coach / Utility / Car
  • RVs / Motorhomes
  • ATVs / Off Road Vehicles
  • Motorcycles

The vehicle must have no California (CA) record.  The VIN must appear okay.  It is helpful to provide a supporting ownership document such as a Certificate of Title, Manufacturer’s Certificate or  Statement of Origin (MCO/MSO), US Government Standard Form (SF) 97-1, or Registration Card.

*Prohibited verifications for vehicle verifiers:

  • revived salvage or revived junk vehicles
  • Vehicles whose US Federal Certification Label (Safety Label) disagrees with the VIN, or is illegible, damaged, tampered, altered, missing, never issued (e.g., direct import-grey market, etc.), or does not match the documents
  • specially constructed (SPCNS) vehicles
  • used motorcycles with an unavailable California record  (last registered in CA, but record no longer appears on DMV’s database)
  • vehicles with documents from a foreign country
  • motorcycles with engine changes
  • incomplete or unassembled vehicles

What We Will Need To See For A Vehicle Verification

  • Ownership documents:  It is helpful to provide an ownership document such as a Certificate of Title, Registration Card, Manufacturer’s Certificate or Statement of Origin (MCO/MSO) or US Government Standard Form (SF) 97-1 as a supporting document for the VIN, but it is not a requirement of the VIN Verification.
  • Vehicle Identification Number (VIN):  On vehicles 1970 and newer, we will need to see two VIN.  We must always see the Primary VIN (located on the windshield) and it must be legible.  The Secondary VIN is located on the Federal Certification Label (usually located on the left side door frame or door).  If the Federal Certification Label is missing or illegible, you will be referred to the CHP for the VIN verification.
  • EPA Emissions Label:  On vehicles 1968 and newer, we will need to look for an EPA Emissions Label (usually located in the engine compartment or under the hood)
  • Odometer Mileage

Please Note:  It is not the responsibility of the verifier to locate and/or clean your vehicle ID.  You should know where the Vehicle Identification Numbers are located and if they are legible in order to verify that they are correct for the vehicle.  If you do not know where your VINs are located, please research their location via Google before you come.

Totally Notary will supply and complete the Verification of Vehicle (REG 31) form required by the California Department of Motor Vehicles for your vehicle registration transaction.

Totally Notary is a licensed and bonded California Vehicle VIN Verification Service and provides on-site and mobile verifications*.
*Mobile verifications are subject to an additional travel fee.

Totally Notary Vehicle Registration Service is licensed, bonded and contracted with the State of California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) through their Business Partner Automation Program to provide vehicle titling services.  We hold DMV Occupational License #95437 and Vehicle Verifier License #V28773 and can perform instant DMV registration and title transactions.

Note: A service charge will apply in addition to the DMV fees.